Suburban Lumber was founded in 1958 by Joe Flynn and John Plotz – and is still family owned and operated. Decades of experience and our philosophy of continuous improvement makes Suburban a collaborative, reliable, and flexible partner to help you reach your building goals.
Suburban’s lumber yard serves customers in Cedar Rapids, Marion, Hiawatha, Robins, Ely, Fairfax, North Liberty, Iowa City and throughout all of eastern Iowa. The majority of materials are delivered to the jobsite with our large fleet of trucks and material handling equipment.
Careers at Suburban lumber
Interested in joining the Suburban Lumber team and learning about the professional building trades? Our current job listings are below.
- Prepare detailed and accurate building material lists using estimating software.
- Design floor systems and size iLevel products utilizing design software.
- Continually educate and improve estimating & design processes.
- Continually gain knowledge on product features, benefits and options to use effectively in the estimating process.
- Provide exceptional customer service and communication with customers and co-workers.
- Conduct job site visits with sales team to view end product.
- Provide feedback on continuous improvement of products, software, estimating/design methods, and materials. Assist in reducing waste.
- Provide weekly activity spreadsheets of quotes to the manager of sales and marketing.
- Assist with yearly inventory.
Estimating software, design software, Microsoft Word, Excel & Outlook, business software, office phones, calculator, motorized vehicles including pick-up truck and company car.
- Education – Must have 2 years of college/technical schooling or a high school diploma plus 2 years of estimating experience in a construction related industry
- Experience – Must have at least 2 years of estimating and or designing in the construction industry and have understanding of the basic construction requirements and techniques.
- Special Abilities – Must be able to communicate – both verbally and in writing – in adequate detail to avoid miscommunication and misunderstanding. Must be able to use organization tools to provide timely service and follow-up.
- Physical Requirements – Must be able to use computer, type, sit, listen, and communicate on a prolonged basis. Must maintain a professional business appearance and attire.
- Mental Requirements – Must be able to concentrate, perform math calculations with high accuracy; Perform analysis, interpretation, planning & scheduling with attention to detail within designated time frames & deadlines; Must be able to operate efficiently under moderate levels of stress brought on by customer demands, time pressures, problem solving with accuracy requirements.
Interested in working at Suburban Lumber? We’re currently looking for a CDL Driver to join our team. Applicants must have Class A or B CDL license with a good driving record to drive semi, boom truck, tandem flatbed, panel van and 1-ton trucks. Job consists of basic deliveries (lumber, shingles, cabinets, windows, doors, etc.) to customers in Eastern Iowa. Must have the ability to lift up to 80 pounds. Previous boom truck experience is a plus. Position is full time Monday – Friday with an occasional Saturday morning. Suburban Lumber offers great benefits including healthcare, vacation, 401k, paid holidays, and NO overnights.